MC — Missionaries of Charity
The Society is an International Religious family founded at Calcutta on Oct. 7, 1950 by Blessed Mother Teresa. Its aim is to quench the infinite thirst of Jesus Christ for love by Profession of Chastity, Poverty, Obedience and whole hearted free service to the poorest of the poor, according to the teaching and life of our Lord in the Gospel, through humble deeds of love, by nursing the sick, dying destitutes, gathering and teaching little street children, visiting and caring for beggars and their children, giving shelter to the abandoned, caring for the unwanted, the unloved and the lonely and by adoration of Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament. The congregation of the Missionaries of Charity came and established in the Diocese of Meerut in the year 1976.
FSLG — Francisan Sisters of Our Lady of Graces
Franciscan Sisters of Our Lady of Graces [FSLG] is an indigenous congregation, canonically erected on 25 June 1965. It is founded by Archbishop Joseph Bartholomew Evangelisti OFM Cap, an Italian missionary, who was the 1st Bishop of Meerut and previously coadjutor Bishop of Agra. Himself being a Franciscan with a great devotion to Blessed Mother, he was inspired to name the new congregation ‘‘Franciscan Sisters of Our Lady of Graces.’’ The congregation received its Pontifical recognition on October 11th 2003.
There are about 300 members working in different fields of apostolate. There are 41 houses in India and abroad and 22 houses are under Meerut Diocese. The general aim of our congregation is to make God known and loved through the holiness of life, reflected by our communion with God and with one another, and through our apostolate.
The sisters engage themselves in every type of educational, medical and socio-pastoral apostolate. Sisters in the educational field work both independently and in collaboration with the Diocese. It has a hospital and five dispensaries. It has four boardings; I for leper’s children and three for poor Catholic girls. It has a recognized Social work centre namely Sahayini where sisters reach out to the interior villages uplifting the illiterate and the marginalized.
From its very origin sisters dedicate themselves in rendering their service to the Diocese of Meerut.
MSA — Mission Sisters of Ajmer
On 26th April 1911, an Indian Congregation was founded by Rt. Rev. Henry Fortunatus Caumont OFM Cap, the First Bishop of Ajmer. He came to India—Rajputana in 1897 and he found this desert place having so many evil practices and customs. So much so women were ill-treated, harassed, used and abused. Mission Sisters of Ajmer were ready to do anything anywhere for the upliftment of women.
It was on August 14, 1948 that Arch Bishop Vani of Agra troubled and almost desperate, wrote to our co-foundress Mother Mary Matilda of our Congreation, to help him out of a difficult situation. There was no one to carry on the Work of Education and pastural care of the people. Mother Mary Matilda’s favourable reply was like a lamp in the darkness. So she came with her companions to visit the place in Saharanpur, Meerut Diocese. They were struck by the beauty and fertility of the place. Since then the school was constructed and named ‘‘SOPHIA’’.
In 1950 Arch Bishop Vani of Agra approached mother Mary Matilda once more to set up a school in Meerut. The poor Catholics lived in the poor section of the Catonement, backward and steeped in poverty. The various head mistress brought the school from its humble beginnings to its present standard. The School is now a senior secondary school of ICSC & ISC Board of examinations.
As early as 1954 the Sisters in their zeal to seek, serve the poor and destitute, started tutorial classes in Vernacular in the Diocese of Meerut. This later grew into St. Joseph’s Hindi Medium School, while Sophia English Medium School contributes substantially to the support of this school run for the poor—In July 1974 Sophia English Medium started a parallel section of Vernacular classes for the Hindi speaking girls. In 1988 this Sophia Hindi Medium School was shifted to Partapur Village in the Meerut district where there is a Separate Community of Sisters.
The Sisters take an active part in the pastural apostolate— conduct faith formation, Sunday school classes, taking charge of the liturgy, choir, preparing the children and adults for various sacraments and other Church related activities.
UMI — Ursulines of Mary Immaculate
The institute of the Ursuline Sisters of Mary Immaculate was founded at Piacenza, Northern Italy, in 1649 by the Venerable Mother Brigida Morello (Brigit of Jesus). The special end of the Institute is the education of girls in the spirit of the Catholic faith and instructing them in all branches of knowledge and work suitable to their condition.
The Institute, in 1934, extended its activities to mission lands and now specialises in educational, medical and social works.
CMC — Congregation of Mother of Carmel
The Congregation which is the first indigenous Religious Congregation of women in Kerala was founded in 1866 at Koonammavu by the Blessed Chavara Kuriakose Elias and Fr. Leopold Boccaro, OCD. First it was affiliated as Third Order to the Carmelites Discalced. In 1890 it branched into two—the Latin and Syrian. As new Vicariates and Dioceses were set up in Kerala, the Syrian Section got divided into independent units, each of which was directed and patronised by the Local Ordinary of the respective Diocese.
On November 16, 1963, all these independent diocesan units were amalgamated under one Superior General and the Congregation was divided into five separate provinces. Alwaye was chosen as the Head quarters and the Curia Generalizia was established at Thaikkattukara, Alwaye, By Prot. No. 504/57 issued by the Sacred Congregation for the Orienal Churches on March 2, 1967, the Congregation was raised to Pontifical Right under the title of ‘‘The Congregation of the Mother of Carmel’’ (C.M.C.). Now the Congregation is divided into sixteen Provinces, two Vice-Provinces and three regions.
The most sublime goal of the Congregation is that its members be completely possessed by God in total availability to our fellowmen/women. The main work of the Congregation is education aiming at the intellectual, social, economic, moral and spiritual advancement of the people, particularly of women and children. The care of the sick and the destitute, social welfare services and such other activities are also undertaken according to the needs of the Church and of the people of the locality. The spirit of the Congregation may be described as Bhakthi Karma Yoga as portrayed in the motto ‘Dhyanena Madbhakta Karmana Madarpita’.)
CMC came to Meerut Diocese in the year 1985.
RJM — Religious of the Congregation of Jesus and Mary
Mother St. Ignatius (Claudine Thevenet) foundress of the Congregation, was born in Lyon (France) on the 30th March 1774 and died on 3rd February 1837. The Congregation was found on 6th Oct 1818. Claudine was chosen as the foundress by divine Providence. The aim of the Congregation was ‘‘To form Souls for Heaven by a truly Christian Education. Claudine rented a house and started to live there on the 6th October which is the foundation Day.
Our Sisters came from France to Agra on the 11th November 1842. They opened a Boarding school for Girls and an orphanage there. On 1st May 1845, we opened a Boarding School for Girls in Waverley.
In 1848 three sisters were sent to Sardhana and a Community was set up there with 9 sisters. They started a Boarding School for European girls. An orphanage was attached to it. During the Mutiny in 1857, the nuns and the Children had to go through much suffering. For security they were taken to the Military Hospital in Meerut. They returned after 5 months to Sardhana.
After the Mutiny, the Boarding for European Girls was closed and it was opened for Indian Children.
At present we have a Primary School, High School and Inter College with a strength of 1700 students. We have the Degree College and B.Ed College with a strength of about 750. The medium of Instruction is Hindi with English as the second Language. The majority of students are poor. We have a hostel for Catholic students of Classes VI—B.A. IIIrd year. We provide hostel accommodation for 12 students of B.Ed. since the fees are very low the Congregation supplements, with donations. We take active part in pastoral work also one of the sisters is fully occupied with the Church and Shrine supervision. Our students participate in the Church Choir and liturgical celebrations. We co-operate in all the Church activities.
SCCG — Sisters of Charity of Ss. Bartholomea Capitanio & Vincenza
(The exercise of charity, spiritual and corporal in its entire extent is the aim of this Congregation which was founded on November 21, 1832 at Lovere, Italy, by Saints Bartholomea Capitanio and Vincenza Gerosa. The Holy Child Mary is the special protectress of this Congregation, hence the Sisters are also called “Sisters of Maria Bambina”. The Institute conducts orphanages, homes for the destitutes, aged, refuge for the abandoned, founding homes, creches, penitentiaries, hospitals, dispensaries, asylums and schools. The SCCG—Came to Meerut Diocese on 21st October, 1959.
CFMSS — Clarist Franciscan Missionaries of the Blessed Sacrament
The Congregation of the Clarist Franciscan Missionaries of the Most Blessed Sacrament is a contemplative missionary branch of the Franciscan Second Order, Professing the Rule of St. Clare. It was founded in 1898 in Bertinoro, Italy, by the venerable Servant of God Mother Seraphina Farolfi.
Eucharistc-Missionary Charism is its mainspring and the motto of the Congregation. “I Carry The Mysteries”, gives its members the mandate to carry and enkindle the flame of the Eucharistic Jesus to all.
Imbubed with the Eucharistic-Missionary charism, the Sisters devote themselves primarily to the care and education of children of all age groups. They conduct schools, Foundling homes, Homes for the aged, welfare centres for the orphaned/destitute children, Hostels for working girls, Dispensaries and Health centres in the rural/tribal regions, Social uplift Programmes etc.
The CFMSS sisters work in Italy, Spain, Romania, Guinea-Bissau, Brazil Argentina Bolivia and India, The CFMSS came to Meerut Diocese on 29th December, 1950.
FSMA — Francisian Sisters of St. Mary of the Angels
Maria Sadan at Suryanagar in Ghaziabad district came into existence in Oct. 1994. It belongs to the Congregation of Franciscan Sisters of St. Mary of the Angels (FSMA). It is a French Congregation started in France in 1871 and spread in different parts of the world—France, England, Switzerland, Brazil, Ethiopia, Tanzania. In India there are about 50 convents under two Provinces MHOW and JAIPUR.
The division of the Indian Province in 1993 sent us on a `search’ to find a suitable location for the Provincialate of the North Province. So Maria Sadan served as a Provincilate from 1994 to 1998. Then in the year 2000 when it was decided that FSMA North & South Provinces in India will have separate formation Maria Sadan in Surya Nagar became the Candidate house of our now JAIPUR Province. Due to lack of space we had to discontinue this as a candidate house. Now it is used as a transit house for our sisters passing through Delhi.
The Parish Church is just a few steps away from the Convent and one can have daily Mass to nourish one’s soul. Sisters of this community sees to the Sacristy work, washing and ironing of sacristy linen and daily preparing for the Holy Mass. Besides these we also help out in teaching Catechism & singing etc. Help poor children in their studies. Since most of the Parishoners are working and they get back home late, visiting the families are not very practical.
MSI — Missionary Sisters of the Immaculate
We the Missionary Sisters of the Immaculate started our presence in the diocese of Meerut on June 20th 1995 in Sahibabad.
We are working in the school run by the Capuchin Fathers at Sahibabad.
We do help in the pastoral activities of the parish, family visits etc.
Our Congregation was started in Italy in collaboration with the members of Pontifical Institute for Mission Extension (P.I.M.E. fathers)
Our Foundresses are Mother Giuseppina Dones & Giuseppina Rodolfi. Msgr. Lorenzo Maria Balconi (PIME) is the co-founder.
Blessed Paolo Manna PIME is the Inspirer.
The prime duty of our Institute is the Evangelization of non Christians.
Our Congregation is a Religious Missionary Congregation.
We take up any activities according to the needs of the place.
SHC — Sisters of the Holy Cross
FCC — Franciscan Clarist Congregation
Inspired by the example and teachings of St. Francis of Assisi and St. Clare, the Franciscan Clarist Congregation stands as an important manifestation of Christ’s spirit of humility, poverty and fraternity. The origin of the Franciscan Clarist Congregation dates back to 1875, when a group of 8 pious tertiary women of Franciscan Third Order started a common life, inspired by the love of God and the sprit of St. Francis. They lived doing act of mercy for the poor and earning their livelihood by manual labour and depending on alms. Realising their ardent desire, Fr. Kunjulahanan the then minister of the tertiaries made arrangements for their community life and assisted them in their spiritual and material needs. They learned more about St. Clare. They prayerfully waited for a long time for the realization of their desire. They expressed their wish to Rt. Rev. Dr. Charles Lavigne, the Aostolic vicar of Kottayam when he happened to visit the parish of Palai on July 4, 1888. The apostolic Vicar asked them the following questions—
“Can you look after the poor ? Can you rear the orphans ?”
They who were already accustomed to such charitable works readily expressed their willingness to do. He helped them to found a new offshoot of the Franciscan family the Franciscan Clarist Congregation was formed on 14th December, 1888 at Changanacherry in Kerala.
A deep and intense prayer life integrated with hard manual labour, care and protection of the aged and orphans and service to the poor were the outstanding characteristics of their way of life. Eventually the education of children and catechism were included in their daily work. The Congregation which flourished under the paternal care of Rt. Rev. Dr. Charles Lavigne and his successors slowly developed as independent units and diocesan religious communities in various dioceses of Kerala. The first branch of their Congregation was planted in Thrissur on July 26, 1910. The congregation became Pontifical in 1970. The missionary zeal of St. Francis and the inspiration of the church gave impetus to the missionary activity of the Congregation in 1960, the Thrissur unit started the first North Indian mission house at Agra as a happy memorial of its golden Jubilee. This was the first endeavour of the women religious of the Oriental Rite outside Kerala. Now the Congregation has around 6345 Sisters living in 541 houses of which 358 houses are in Kerala, 170 houses in mission, 13 houses in foreign countries. The F.C.C. is one of leading religious Congregations in India with BI. Alphonsa and Sr. Rani Maria to be proud of.
Charism and Apostolate
The essential characteristics of the Franciscan life in F.C.C. is the blending of active and contemplative life—the active apostolic life of St. Francis and the contemplative life of St. Clare. The Constitutions exhorts the members to bear witness to the poor, humble and crucified Christ in the world. The members are convinced that a life contemplation is inevitable to gain sufficient energy for work. As a result each province has made arrangements for special houses of prayer, which would enable the Sisters to withdraw from intense activities for a week or two and spend time in reflection. A prayer house at the Generalate was started in 1976. In 1985, a prayer house in the form of a hermitage was established to help Sisters to enhance their zeal for cloistered life for a short period.
A good number of the Sisters spend their precious lives in education, in moulding the future citizens and thereby the destiny of the country. The Congregation has also focused its attention on other apostolates sensing the needs of the time. It gives more stress to the welfare of the poor. Most of the houses are now situated in rural areas and among tribals to give primary education and enhance their all round development.
The care of the sick is also a major apostolate. Besides working in the dispensaries and hospitals of their own, the Sisters work in hospitals run by the diocese by other Catholic managements and in government hospitals, too. Realising the special need of the time a good number of Sisters are engaged in the field of social work either in direct social work programmes like health, education or indirect social work by co-operating with various agencies to help the poor and the underprivileged. House visiting, mobile clinics, prison ministry and other ways of helping the poor are also chosen. Vocational training centres, running charitable institutions like children’s home, home for the aged and the handicapped, rehabilitation centres for the children of the prisoners are also included in their apostolate.
Inspired by St. Franci’s special love for the lepers, care of the lepers is considered as a special responsibility of F.C.C. The Sisters pray and hope that we succeed in spreading God’s love and compassion in whatever form of apostolate they are called upon to do.
F.C.C. sisters came to the diocese of Meerut on Oct. 31st, 1998. We run an English medium high school of I.C.S.E. Board of Examinations. Our purpose of coming to this diocese is to spread the kingdom of God by the means of education.
ASMI — Assisi Sisters of Mary Immaculate
Our aim and purpose—to care for the poor, needy and rejected in the society. We started our mission in the meerut diocese on 17-5-1977 with dispensary for leprosy patience and maternity Hospital at Rookee. Our apostolate of healing ministry started at Rampur on 19-3-2003. We also have taken up the teaching apostolate at Shabad, St. Paul’s academy in the year 2003.
FHGS — Franciscan Hand Maids of the Good Shepherd
The congregation of the Franciscan hand maid of the Good Shepherd was founded by servant of God Teresa Napoli, on May 14, 1938 in Calabria-Italy. it was founded to give moral and spiritual support for the unwed—mothers during 2nd world war—the congregation has been established though various apostolates in different countries according to the needs of people through the same charism. At present our Provincial House is in Nedumbassery, Ernakulam Diocese, Kerala. We came to Meerut Diocese on March 29, 2004. We collaborate with the CMI fathers in education, St. Joseph Academy, Mariam Nagar, and also in different apostolic activities of the Church.
SD — Sisters of the Destitute
This Congregation was started on 19.3.1927 by Rev. Fr. Varghese Payyappilly under the direction of the late Archbishop Mar Augustine Kandathil of Ernakulam-at Chunangamvely, Aluva. The members devote themselves to the care of the Sick, Poor, and the Destitute. Now the Congregation is divided into 3 Provinces and each Province has its own Mission Region. The Provinces conduct separate novitates of their own. It is a Papal Congregation since 1989.
The servant of God Rev. L. Varghese Payappilly was fascinated by the compassionate love of Christ for the poor, founded this congregation. The word of God : “Just as you did it to one of the least of these who are members of my family, you did it to me.” (mt 25/40) gave him the wisdom and power to see the face of christ in the destitute and to serve them in the compassion. Our congregation came to establish in the diocese of Meerut on 10th August 1986—Our mission in this diocese particularly is—Hospital and Education.
OLP — The Sisters of Our Lady of Providence
Huttut Mission in Meerut Diocese near Moradabad was begun in 1988, 29th Sept., by Fr. Joseph Palathinkal who was the Parish priest of Moradabad at that time Huttut was the sub-mission center of Moradabad Parish.
Following the spirit of our foundress Mother St. Irene, we the sisters of our lady of providence responded to the call of God by serving the poor of the needy especially the Dalits who were broken opressed and were struggling for their liberations.
The main purpose of our congreation is educating the youth and the poor. Besides the school, we have dispensery, and pastoral activities—our special attention goes to the women and the young girls who are illiterate.
We collaborate with the government and do the DOT program and take special care for the T.B. patients.
SA — Sisters of St. Ann of Providence
Sisters of Saint Ann of Providence in the Church : Enlightened by the Spirit, Carlo Tancredi and Giulia Barolo founded our Religious family in the Church on 10th December 1834 in Turin, Italy. Through specific mission we are calld to be “instrument of Divine Providence”. We have impressed in our minds and hearts that we are destined to glorify God through our educative service to the little ones and the poor.
St. Mary’s Convent, Rampur was established in 1960 by the pioneering visionary of happy memory, Rev. Mother Clemenza Mancini, at the request of Rev. Fr. Pius (Cap.). His fond desire was that the sisters take care of the Educational needs of that area around Rampur. An English medium school opened on 4th April 1960. Thus the seed for education was sown. Sisters worked might and main towards the growth of the school. In 1997 Senior Secondary classes began due to the hard work of the sisters.
(1) Education to girl students.
(2) Sisters actively participate in parish works, teach catechism to parish children.
(3) Evening classes for the poor children.
(4) Non Formal Education through NIOS.
Sisters visit families, Spiritual and material help is given to those in need of it.
CSC — The Congretation of Sisters of Charity
“I will be here on earth, and in the firmament above, a star, proclaiming God’s infinite mercy, and spreading his glory”, asserted Rev. Fr. Augustine John Ukken, our Founder.
His vision got realized, when he established the Congregation in the year 1994. Like Jesus Christ, he listened to the heavenly Father, in the solitude of his heart through unceasing prayer, with stillness and attention to fulfill His will and to share his experience with the brethren, especially the poor and the marginalized, through works of charity in compassionate love. This religious family, Congregation of Sisters of Charity, came in to being in Syro Malabar Church, in the Diocese of Thrissur, in the year 1944. God chose, Rev. Fr. Augustine John Ukken, who possessed ardent love towards God and his people, for the establishment of this Congregation. He was a venerable and dynamic priest of the eparchy of Thrissur. Fr. Augustine John, who later came to be known as the father of the poor, was born in Ukken family, at Parappur in 1880. A challenging conviction had been haunting him, from early childhood for a chosen mission, a very special apostolate. On 21st December 1907 John was ordained as priest by, Most Rev. Dr. Clements Pagany, the Canty Bishop.
On 21st November, 1944 the Congregation of sisters of charity was officially started at Chowannoor in Thrissur Diocese, with the approval of Rt. Rev. Dr. George Allappatt. `Your task is to love. Let nobody surpass you in love’. Rev. Fr. Augustine John Ukken admonished his daughters. The sisters started their ministry by visiting the houses, healing the sick and helping the needy. He always wanted to be a monument erected on the Compassionate love of Jesus. He used to advice his daughters; there should be no one around us who are unknown to us. He inspired his daughters to serve the humanity even in the biting cold and scorching heat around the globe.
12 years after the conception of the Congregation, her Founder Rev. Fr. Augustine John Ukken was called for his eternal rest at the age of 76. The Congregation was flourishing well under his guidance, when he was called for his eternal reward, on 13th October 1956. Fifty four years have been completed after he passed away, from the midst of us. In the course of these long years, the Congregation has grown in to a sturdy tree, and has developed and consolidated itself, not only in membership but also in the importance and variety of its apostolic works in India and abroad.
The dream of our Founder Father, Servant of God. Fr. Augustine John Ukken (24th August 2008) is being fulfilled now through the various ministries that our sisters are engaged in. They include, the ministry of education, healing ministry, Social & Pastoral work etc. At present the Congregation has about one 1000 members. We have three provinces, two in Kerala and one outside Kerala. Our sisters of Santhome Province are rendering their services in 12 dioceses outside Kerala. Being highly inspired by the unique model of our Founder Father, we continued to share, the compassionate love of Jesus in our day-to-day life situations. Along with him, who praises the Lord Almighty in heaven we sing the unending hymn of praise on earth, “The Lord is good His love is eternal and His faithfulness lasts for ever.”
SMSM — The Congregation of Seva Missionary Sisters of Mary
The congregation of Seva Missionary Sisters of Mary (SMSM) was founded by Msgr. John Kottaram diocesan priest of Madras-Mylapore in the year 1974 on 26th of July in Tamilnadu. The Charism of our congregation is Evangelization in the villages and the motto is “Go and teach ye all nations.”
Bishop Oswald Louis the Co-adjuratory (in 2000) invited us to work in the Diocese of Meerut.
We have four convents in this Diocese.
|1. Hapur||17th May 2000||Assisting in the diocesan school and in the parish|
|2. Roorkee||17th June 2001||Assisting in two schools of St. Gabriels of Montfort and in
|3. Amroha||4th July 2003||Assisting in the diocesan school and in the parish|
|4. Moradabad||6th April 2008|
Bishop Patrick Nair gave us permission to start our own school. We also involve in the parish activities and family visits.
MSJ — Medical Sisters of St. Joseph
We came to Meerut Diocese at Mariam Nagar, Ghaziabad on 19-03-1990 and started St. Joseph Hospital with 150 beds, with all specialities. We cater the sick and ailing humanity through the medical apostolate. We are conducting nursing training program for the poor girls of the locality. We are also doing social work in the nearby villages, such as non-formal education, mobile clinics, etc. We are actively participating in the parish activities.
Aim and purpose of our congregation :
Our religious congregation “Medical Sisters of St. Joseph” is the fruit of the deep God experience and the merciful love of revered Founder the Late very Rev. Msgr. Joseph. C. Panjikaran towards the sick and suffering. Our congregation started on 31st July 1946 in Kerala. Care of the sick that flows from the Compassionate love of Jesus is our mission in the church. “Through the body to the soul” as the motto of the healing ministry. The glorious gift of bringing the poor, the sick, and the least of the brethren to salvation and experience of the kingdom of God through the healing ministry is our charism. We cater all kinds of hospitals, health centers, mobile clinics, mentally retarded; old who are sick, social welfare activities etc.
CJ — Congregation of Jesus
CHF — Congregation of the Holy Family
The Congregation was founded on May 14, 1914 at Puthenchira, Trichur Dt. (Kerala) by Mother Mariam Theresa, Servant of God. She was assisted and directed by Fr. Joseph Vithayathil. Its aim was to Christianize families as was the apostolate of the Foundress. The members engage in various apostolates such as visiting the poor, the sick and the needy in their homes, undertaking social action projects, healing the sick, educating the ignorant, cooperating in the postoral ministry of the parish and by witnessig through missionary activity. The primary purpose of all these apostolate is to bring Christ into their families.
The Congregation spread mainly in the Diocese of Thrissur until it was introduced to the northern parts of India in 1964. In 1978 it got Pontifical status and Province structure of administration. It is now spread to 9 Archdioceses and 20 Dioceses in India and has houses in Rome, Germany and Africa. Today the Congregation has 160 houses.
SMMI — Salesian Missionaries of Mary Immaculate
The Society was founded in Paris on 15th October 1872 by Fr. Henri Chaumont and Madame de Malberg. Mother Marie Gertrude with her three companions started the mission work in India on 12th October 1889. The Institute is essentially missionary. The sisters consecrate themselves to any work which is needed for the plantation of the Church in the mission lands. We came to Meerut diocese in the year 1984.
The activities are teaching catechism, visiting the villages, dispensaries, mobile, clinics, hospitals, maternities, sanatoria, leprosaria, orphanages, homes for the aged and handicapped, schools of various types, social work in the villages.
DSH — Daughters of the Sacred Heart
The Congregation Daughters of the Sacred Heart was founded in Malta in 1903 by Mother Theresa Nuzzo. The aim of the Congregation is the spreading of the Kingdom of Christ all over the world by giving religious education to orphans and youth. Its work is extended also to missions where necessary and is given to the task of helping the Dioceses and the parishes according to the spirit of the Congregation.
Today the Congregation has many houses in Malta and abroad for the service of the Church and of society.
On 16th July 1988 Pope John Paul-II definitely approved its Constitution and the Congregation was raised to Pontifical Right.
CSST — Carmelite Sistes of St. Teresa
This Institute was founded in 1887 at Ernakulam Cochi, Kerala by Mother Teresa of St. Rose of Lima. The members of this Congregation engage in the work of education, taking care of orphans, destitutes and aged, health care, conducting dispensaries and clinics and mobile clinics in the mission areas, visiting houses and catehising, hospice care and prison ministry, day and night.
SMI — Sisters of Mary Immaculate of Bishop Morrow
The Congregation of the Catehist Sisters of Mary Immaculate Help of Christians, commonly known as “Sisters of Mary Immaculate.” Was founded by Bishop Louis La Ravoire Morrow, the fourth Bishop of Krishnagar, on 12th December, 1948, in Krishnagar, West Bengal.
Being a great missionary and a writer of catechetical books, the bishop saw the needs and signs of the times especially in his own diocese, and was exceedingly zealous to bring the Good News to all strata of humanity, especially women, girls and children in the villages. By the immense grace of God our Father, the Congregation developed beyond his expectations, spread out to various parts of India and abroad, and was blessed with Pontifical status on 7th June, 1956.
The main work of the Congregation consists in the education of the youth and the education of the poor. In 1958, the Congregation received the final approbation by the Sacred Congregation for Religious in Rome.
The first house in India was opened in 1978 in Kerala. In June 1982, the Novitiate House was opened in Shivpur, Varanasi. The candidate house is also at Shivpur.
DM — Daughters of Our Lady of Mercy
The Congregation of the Daughters of our Lady of Mercy Started on 10, 1837 in Savona, Italy—Its foundress was St. Mary Joseph Rossello.
The aim of the Congregation is to diffuse the mercy of God in the world to be like Mary-instruments of salvation prompt to relieve every misery, simple and prudent, active and joyful, ardent in charity, the Daughters of our Lady of Mercy offer their services for the poor, the children, the abandoned, the orphans, the sick and those without family. The Congregation flourished in Italy, North & South America, Asia & Africa. The Daughters of mercy came to India in Nov. 1974, and they also took up the mission in the Diocese of Meerut, in the year 2009.
SABS — Sisters of Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament
The Congregation of the sisters of Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament was founded on 8th December 1908 at Champakulam in kerala, India. It had its origin from the deep Eucharistic experience of servant of God Thomas Kurialacherry [1873-1925] an ardent devotee of the holy Eucharist. Indeed we are fortunate enough to have our origin as a religious congregation in humble surroundings similar to that of Bethlehem as our first house was a cowshed. Inspired by the personal guidance and direction of the founder, the first member Sr. Mary Francis de chantal and her companions enthusiastically led out congregation through hardships and tribulations towards realisation of its charism.
Charism : Our Charism is the devotion to the holy Eucharist.
Aim and Purpose : Our aim is to offer ourselves as pleasing sacrifice to God for the reparation of the sins of the world and to bring the entire creation to the heavely father through the Eucharistic Lord. We engage in all the kinds of apostolate mainly in Eucharistic adoration, Education and healing ministry. In the year 1982, in colaboration with CMI priests, we started our education ministry in Meerut diocese in Mariam Nagar, Ghaziabad, We involve other activities related to parish specially helping the priests for litergical celebration, pastrol work, Catechism, preparing children for sacraments. In 1984 we extended our service to khera, pilakhuwa, Here too we engage in Education ministry.
SHS — Sacred Heart Sisters